Saturday, June 19, 2010

So, I splurged a little

Sometimes, we just have to splurge a little, we just have to ensure that when we do, it is well worth the money. These days cash isn't a hot commodity and in a climate where sustainability and affordability is key, even when it comes to just putting food on your plates, we need to be conscious of each purchase we make. But, that all being said, we also need to let our hair down a little every now and then for the sake of sanity, sometimes that means spending a little extra to get what you want. Just make sure it's what you really want, and then make it worth every penny.

In Sherwood Park, AB, there is a great seafood wholesaler called Fin's Seafood Distributor. They used to be a local independent company, however, I was just reading (sadly) that they entered into a purchase agreement with Sysco Foods in January of this year. However, I noticed no difference on my trip there yesterday afternoon so this "agreement" does not seem to have effected the general staff or quality of product. This store has so much to offer a seafood lover, everything you can dream of and them some from candied salmon, to gorgeous Ahi Tuna, to frozen alligator meat. Now, you do still want to be careful that the selections you make are sustainable because not everything here is. I miss the flavours of Orange Roughy, but to buy it today would just lead me to a guilty indigestion. For those of you out there with iPhones, SeaChoice offers a great iPhone app that can help with these decision.

I chose frozen mahi fillets. I adore the light flavour and meaty texture of Mahi Mahi, and while there are some cautions regarding the status of the stocks of Mahi Mahi (especially right now given the state of the Gulf of Mexico) and the moderate threat of bycatch fishing methods, the price was more pressing at the moment of decision given the current state of my wallet. At $12/pound this fish was a steal comparatively.

Bringing the fish home I was already thinking of Asian flavours and pasta salad. The temperature was starting to soar at 26 degrees and sunny so the BBQ was certainly calling my name. Here is the resulting brainstorm:

Soy-Ginger Mahi Mahi
4 mahi mahi fillets (fresh or frozen, if frozen then you can thaw right in the marinade)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger (I cheat and use the jarred or tubed ginger)
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons red wine (your pick, I use a touch of whatever I have on the go at the time)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

freshly ground sea salt and black pepper

I'm a big fan of ziploc bag marinades so I tossed the mahi mahi in a large ziploc and added the rest of the ingredients, then I sort of slooshed it around a bit to make sure the marinade was mixed up well. I threw this back in the fridge while I prepared the salad:

*Don't forget to go pre-heat your BBQ, you're going to want it at a nice 475 degrees.

Sesame Pasta Salad

8 ounces of dry linguine (I always use Smart Pasta by Catelli because I like the health benefits of whole wheat pasta but my partner won't eat it without making faces like I'm trying to force-feed him gruel)
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, sliced (white parts included)
large handful of baby carrots, sliced (I use these rather than large carrots because I keep these on hand for snacks)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
2 minced garlic cloves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, cut your veggies. When the pot hits a rolling boil, drop the pasta for 7 minutes (or to al dente according to your pasta's cooking directions).

While the pasta is boiling, whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Take the pasta off and drain, rinsing with cold water until no longer warm. Toss the pasta, veggies, and sauce. Put in the fridge.

Now go get that fish! Scrape your BBQ grill and spray with an olive oil mist (or other method of greasing your grill to your preference)

Place fillets in the middle of the grill for 4 minutes with the lid closed. Flip with a large metal spatula and cook for another 3 minutes, (go set the table, or better yet, open the patio door and get your spouse to set the table) Remove the fish to a plate and tent with foil.

Are you ready? Serve away, delicious! Even my three year old ate this one (although I did have to remove all but the carrots and noodles from her salad)



No comments:

Post a Comment